The Repair Corps program is designed to provide much-needed repair to the homes of veterans to give them a better living environment. Since this partnership with the Home Depot Foundation launched just two short years ago, the funding provided has made a world of difference in the lives of local heroes. Here are just some of ways that the funding has helped:
- Replaced the HVAC system just in time for a newborn with medical needs to come home from the hospital
- Replaced old carpet that was a trip hazard with laminate flooring that made a huge difference in mobility around the house for an 89-year-old veteran with Alzheimer’s
- Installed a walk in tub for a severely disabled veteran that helped his sole caregiver, his wife, give him baths
- Made critical electrical, plumbing and other needed safety repairs in the home of a veteran and her five adopted special needs children
- Installed new windows in the home of an elderly couple, making their home comfortable
- After putting $15,000 in critical repairs on a home where children were suffering from asthma, taught the family how to repair and replace the rest of their home
This partnership allows for Habitat to provide so much more to the veteran community in San Diego.Thank you to the Home Depot foundation for improving the lives of San Diego veterans and their families.